It's almost half way into summer so I thought I would update...
I'm in Norte now and it's been a pretty interesting transition to say the least. I really like the people I work with and especially the professional staff. They seem more invested and really supportive of us as a team. The great thing is, is that they recognize individual accomplishments as well as team ones, something I havent been used to in 2 years. Working for Norte has really gotten me more interested in Student Affairs and working with student leadership. I feel like I have found something I am really good at and will be successful with in the future. There is so much about Norte that I like and so much that I will still need to get used to with time.
One of my biggest challenges is trying to make myself and this position more meaningful. Obviously as an RA, living in the residence hall 24/7 enabled me to interact and influence my resies every day. In Norte, I am responsible for a group of residents as well but because of the layout of the building, I am not able to see them everyday and let alone talk to them. Learning names in Selva was easier because I was able to see my residents come in and out. Getting to know my residents now is way more challenging because I have to work around 2 sets of doors and a sporadic floor plan. I plan on hosting lots of programs out of my apartment, just for my residents so they will know where to find me [hopefully..*fingers*crossed* it works...]
I celebrated my 22nd birthday this month and i can honestly say that it was one of the best birthdays I have ever had...even better than my 21st! I was surrounded with amazing friends and my loving family. We ate delicious food and drank a shit ton [well I drank a shit ton]!!! I really felt special that day, getting facebook comments, text messages, phone calls, and just all around love. I LOVE BIRTHDAYS so much and a lot of people ask me why and I always say because it is that person's 1 DAY to spend it how they want, do what they want, and everyone tries to make sure that it is amazing! I am sooo grateful to have been blessed with the life I was given. It was an AMAZING birthday!
As of now, I am just doing summer school and going through the motions of daily life.
No comments:
Post a Comment