Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Teacher..really? ME?

I never would have thought of this RA job as what it has turned out to be. That sentence sounds wrong but I will try to explain it out. My RA was the best; he let us party, he looked out for us when we partied, he even partied with us at the end of year. When I think about the things my RA did for us my freshman year, he wasn't really a good RA. Granted because he let us party, he was the best RA and we chilled with him a lot, but other than that there wasn't much to the relationship. I have actually kept in touch with my RA over the past 4 years. Calls here and there, random sitings on campus nothing to major, and I am still grateful of the amazing first year experience I had in his hall. How does this related to teacher???

We decorated Valentine's Day Mailbags and exchanged cards like a week or two ago. It was nice seeing the creativity and the mailbags getting filled with love. When the program was over, I took my bag down and emptied to see all the goodies I received. The one that stuck out to me the most was a card that said, "Teacher, you deserve the Royal Treatment." TEACHER....really....ME? Half of me wanted to brush it off and assume that it's because she ran out of regular cards to give out and the other half of me felt that she chose to give me this card. I never really thought of myself as a teacher before. I know what I wanted to do in this job and I see what I have done with this job, but is it enough? Do they really see me as a teacher? Am I really teaching them things that they wouldn't naturally experience in life? Thank you Remy Matsumoto for the mindfuck! haha

1 comment:

Belyn V. Lai said...

:) I think you're a great teacher, and I'm glad your residents see that.

You're going to change the world, Kar! I'm privileged to be on staff with you (both GOLD SPOP and MESA RA TEAM).

Have a lovely day! :)