It was my dream to become an RA. It was my dream to live in the same residence hall I lived in my first year. It was my dream to have almost 80 different people to make memories with and to share my experiences with. It was my dream to influence change, make change, and be change. It was my dream to be a great RA. Some way and some how my dreams came true!
There are tons of people out there who can't say that they have lived their dreams. Fortunately for me, I am one of the lucky ones who has lived their dream and then some. This has been the most amazing year of my life. I have learned so much and accomplished so many wonderful things. The best way to describe is like being on a ROLLER COASTER. The twists and turns, dark tunnels, highs and lows were enough to make someone puke after one quarter. I endured, challenged and overcame each obstacle all 3 quarters.
the RA job as most people wrongfully assume is not just breaking up parties, doing lame programs, and making rounds. yes that is a large part of the job but there is sooo much more to it than just that. you have to be a chameleon. you have to adapt and change and maneuver your way through each task that life, your residents, other residents, and professional staff throw your way. you have to be smart, on your game EVERY SECOND, you have to be fun, you have to be invested/committed, you have to be balanced, you have to be creative, you have to be a team player, you have to be authoritative. MOST of ALL you have to be READY FOR ANYTHING.
The most valuable piece of wisdom I got from this year and this position is that anything is possible. with your residents and your team there's no IF only WHEN. After being an RA you see everything in the book and then some. You have residents climbing out windows, scouting for duty and then warning their friends, multiple weed calls in a single night, poop in the hallways, pee on the seats and floors of bathrooms, property damage, kids on the roof, smuggling alcohol into and out of rooms, getting bitched at and cussed out for doing your job, getting patronized by cocky residents, having a teammate forget they have duty or forget to pick up duty, team conflicts and major drama, prostaff conflicts and personal drama. all in all you just have to be READY because life happens and there are no instructions for how to deal.
Selva has been my home for 2 out of my 4 years at UCI. The both times I have been here, I have had the most incredible experiences. As a freshman, I was able to take a dip into discovering who I was and determine where I wanted to end up. As a 4th year and as an RA on the other side, I am able to see where I have been and help those take their dip into discovering who they are. So much has happened this year. I have had my ups and I have had my downs but again I realize that I am going to be alright. this year has seen me at my worst but also coached me to my best. And it shows...my best shows through my residents.
It is soooo amazing to see how quickly 9 months goes by but also how much can change and develop in 9 months. I wasn't preggers or nothing like that but I feel like after these 9 long and hard months of "laboring" I have born 76 beautiful, amazing, and legit people into this world. One of my RA friends was telling me a story about my residents a few weeks ago. She was saying how my resident sassed her and how she was "offended". My resident responded, "You can blame my RA for that". That was the biggest and most amazing compliment I have ever heard. Granted it doesnt sound very nice, but my RA friend and my resident were totally joking around, they really get along. When I heard that he has said those words I was truly touched. Never did I think in a million years that someone would "take after me" or be influenced by me that much that they would pick up some of my mannerisms. I did not think I was around enough for my residents to pick up on my little quirks, I always wanted to be around more this year. I didn't think I was that memorable or impactful for my them to see that about me. I loved it!!!
Last week was my HALL BANQUET. Literally most stressful day of my life. I was running all over the world trying to get everything ready and perfect for the big night and of course, since my life is not perfect, everything was going wrong. I was running late, really late and things were not going my way. My resies were anxiously awaiting for the festivities to begin, all dressed up and looking fabulous. With the grace of the Lord and the help of two of my closest friends, I was able to set up the room. I ran back to my hall to change, 7:45pm my event was to start at 7pm. I got to my front door and I had to stop and catch my breath. THEY ALL LOOKED AMAZING. I was so touched that they would really put effort into looking nice and presentable as well as just show up...for me! I did a literal quick change [5 minutes max] and we headed back to the banquet room. I gave a little speech and covered some brief closing details and thanked them for an amazing year. We ate catered PANDA EXPRESS [well they ate, I was so pumped with adrenaline, I forgot about being hungry]. the banquet wasn't as all out and crazy as maybe some of them thought it to be, but it was really nice to see everyone smiling, taking pictures and enjoying our last times together. I even got to take some pictures with a few residents whom I thought hated me a year! They went back to SELVA and I cleaned up. I also handed out all their presents [custom mixing glasses] which I think they really appreciated. I finally ended the night with a lil midnight adventure to an undisclosed location, which did not turn out as well as I thought haha! let's just say what happens underground stays underground! haha anways...We as a hall were riding high!
The thought of this year wrapping up saddens me deeply!
No comments:
Post a Comment