Sunday, July 27, 2008

the safer placer the more open the people

Okay so I had so much to say for my last blog that I decided to dedicate a whole new one to SPOP 5 the Caliente Puente Kings [and Queens]!

Coming out of Spop 4 was amazing…it was such a high point of staffing that I didn’t think I would ever be coming down…but before the Spop 5 insanity, I got to reconnect with one of the most special people I have met through this program…Stephanie Takeshita has been MIA in my life for soo long that I was feeling like she was forgetting about me or too busy for me…the night before spop 5 I was half way to bed when I hear a voice through my window calling my name, it was Steph…she comes into my room frantic because she had lost her cell phone, I know, that DB! She told me how she left in on the back of Brett’s car and that she forgot to grab it before leaving talent show practice…so we started calling the boys of OXFORD but no one answered…I went with Steph back to the structure to maybe go look for it…on the way in she spots it!!! You could seriously feel the relief in the air! You know Steph is worried or concerned when she starts to cuss and after we found her phone she returned back to her normal self lol…so instead of going back to sleep, we decide to hang out for a little bit and by a little bit it meant like 2 hours!!! So I didn’t get to sleep until 3 something in the morning…

I was also super nervous because my sister was coming for spop 5 and everyone was dying to meet her and I really wanted her to have a good time…I was definitely worried about it…so anyways to start off, I wake up super late for 5 [we were supposed to check in at 745 and I woke up at 73o] thank you steph for waking me up!!! Lol sooo I was already an HTM trying to get ready and be on time!!! Well needless to say I wasn’t on time and not ready! I showed up to meeting late but tried to sneak in unnoticed and definitely failed! I had a shit load of stuff but no contacts in and no gel in the hair [I looked like an HTM and a paintbrush head…lol]

okay sooo biggest surprise of my life, finding out who I got to staff with….first and foremost WES was my CP yeah that’s right be jealous…seriously everyone who found out I was staffing with WES was like omg WES no way youre sooo lucky and I was like yeah I know!...okay next surprise, CLARE!!! My P.I.C. spsister and I got to staff together, we were the ultimate team!!! I also got to staff with Chris Cialeo [my inspiration for singing], Jessica Montri [one of the sweetest girls I have ever met] and Melyssa Griffin [OMG yes M.G. such an amazing girl, definitely the cherry on top of our sundae]…sooo spop 5 started off pretty well..we decided to be the Caliente Puente Kings (because we were mostly and all guy hall) and we added the [and Queens] for the lovely ladies…thus CPK was born!


This spop was a bit different, I was on edge the whole time thinking about my sister and wondering if she was going to have a good time and fall in love with UCI like I did! Also, this spop I really got to step up as a leader because we didn’t have a returner and naturally I just declared myself the returner haha! But seriously I was soo excited to meet everyone…I never had the opportunity to meet everyone right at check in because I always had tasks!

The spoppers started coming into the hall and boy was I blown away! Not once was there ever a time that someone was not talking to someone [at least from what I saw] and the there was this spopper who helped me come out of my shell…Arti! Arti was definitely one of a kind…he had a way of just talking randomness to where who ever he was talking to just couldn’t help but laugh with him…Thanks Arti! As I looked around the room at the amazingness that was CPK I couldn’t help but feel sooo proud, and the program had just barely begun. So Mel took the group outside and started playing game with them and I stayed for the late comers…when everyone had checked in, I joined the group just in time for my favorite game, dance off…needless to say my group kicked ass lol…then we played hall dance off with Otero…then dinner…after O in 4 acts…we took the spoppers back to the hall for Cross the Line…after the activity, one of them, Andrew voiced his concern for crossing the line about his religion…he said he was concerned about crossing because he knew he would make enemies…this affected me so much that I commented back saying “that if you have negative thoughts, views, or words, about certain people religions ideas or practices, keep it to yourself…UCI is a melting pot of cultures just like America in general…anyone with these thoughts should not voice it because they don’t know how they would affect someone” something to that effect lol…I wanted to make Andrew feel comfortable for who he was as a person especially at UCI, because I know sometimes the world isn’t a welcoming place…anyways, we worked on the hall cheer, which was epic because another spopper, quiet and somewhat of a thinker just stepped up to the plate and came up with lines for our cheer and everyone was just so supportive of his ideas and gave such great compliments…so then we went to cha and Clare and I got to talk about how amazed we were that everyone was just so comfortable with each other and no one was walking alone, and we were like damn what do they need us for they are already all-stars…we came back to the hall to get ready for the dance party but I stayed behind with my p.i.c. since some spoppers didn’t wanna go…we definitely had a good time talking and just catching up and being soo excited to staff with each other…I got a quick nap in before Spolympics…after the dance party they came back and we got a few of them to go to Cumbre for Spolympics…it was my first time doing it and it was really fun! Again, good ol Arti proposed to me for staff proposals and then ripped on me hardcore during staff impressions but hey it’s all in good fun and I know he worshiped me haha…good times…we stayed up til about 4ooAM then headed back to bed only for me to wake up at 63o for parent check-in….i got back in time to see the cheer, we rocked it…then talent show prep!!!!

AGAIN I was nervous as hell only because my sister was in the crowd and I didn’t wanna prove her right…..spopapella was pretty good, I was nervous the whole time and EVERYONE could tell [thanks ori for being honest with me…lol] but again I pulled off my solo liked I had been singing for years…yes yes I took them to church…I honestly love singing, there is something about it that just makes me feel sooo free and amazing….it makes me happy to just sing lyrics to my favorite songs and to songs that I just learn…so after the talent show, I see my sister and she says “you really can sing!” wow to hear that from her felt sooo good…you know how everyone says do what makes you happy, just do it for yourself no one else…everything I do is for my sister and my family…what makes me happy is when they are happy…I guess im not mature enough to realize that I should come first but for now, knowing that they are proud of me makes me proud of myself…hall closing was emotional as always…this Spop definitely touched me because it was the first time I really felt I touch lives, not to say I didn’t touch lives in spop 4 but spop 5 gave me a feeling of accomplishment…I had a couple of spoppers who actually looked up to me and told me to my face, I had some not wanna leave the hall even after they checked out because they had sooo much fun!!! I loved spopping sooo much more after 5!!!! I took my sister to the train station and she just talked about how much fun she had and how much she loved her staffers [thanks for taking care of my lil sis staffers of SIERRA]…I was soo proud to be a staffer at that point because my sister is a tough nut to crack and she was crack wide open and I loved it!!!
Sooo exhausted from spop 5 I came home and fell asleep!!!

Being the change I wanna see in the world is so liberating and I can definitely see it…the WORLD IS CHANGING!!!

No comments: